26 December 2006

Happy Xmas is Over Day!!!!

I've long been not so much into Christmas. The way it always makes the huge gap between the haves and the have-nots seem so much bigger this time of year. The stresses of finding the perfect gift that you feel you "have" to buy for people. The majority of kids who haven't a clue as to how fortunate they are to have gotten everything they ever wanted (I speak as a former one of those kids). How you can't find a single place to go that isn't overwhelming with Christmas items and song.. (yes, I can't help but see things from all sides of the fence and wouldn't want to be someone who didn't celebrate Christmas and yet be subjected to all this bombardment of the holidays)..



And so I started Christmas alone in my house with my "kids".. And due to the fact that I had convinced my family that we should NOT exchange presents (instead we pulled our resources and did something nice for someone else), I didn't even have any gifts to open.. BUT I was awoken at 6:30 by a Merry Christmas email that had been sent to my phone from my friend E, who is back in New Jersey spending the holidays with her family. And that turned out to be the start of a pretty wonderful day.......


I opened Alex's gift, a new Kong bone which I stuffed the end of with homemade caramel that my mom had sent especially for her.. And I let loose a dozen or so assorted cat toys that had the fuzzy ass gang running wild through the house for a good half hour...
-




After the ruckus was over, I was able to go back to sleep. I've had a horrible cold for the past week and a half so this was much needed. But at 8:30 I was again woken up by my phone. This time it was D calling me from her parents house in New Mexico to wish me a Merry Christmas.

I finally woke up for good around noon and called my brother and his family to find out what Santa had brought. Then I called my mom and dad. It's always good to talk to them, but especially on the holidays.. Then I called E. It's so nice to be able to talk to her while she's back in the US..

I spent the afternoon with my geocaching buddy, Brijin. She was having dinner at her place, and I was in charge of bringing the mashed potatoes and gravy. It was just Brijin, her mom, our friend Erin, and I, but we had a great time... After dinner we played board games and finished with a bit of late night geocaching... Good food, good friends, and a lot of laughs.. What more could a person ask for??....

So, in spite of how it may have appeared when I woke up (alone with no presents to open), Christmas is what you make of it.. And, I have to admit, mine was pretty damn good!.....

Hope you all had a fabulous Christmas as well!!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

if it's any consolation to you...I thought about you ALL day long and wished we were together. I thought about calling but didn't.
Anyway I thought about YOU lots and wished you a very merry christmas w/ your friend at dinner.

Ours was a good one and will share at another time with you. Love you lots and hope to catch you on IM soon.

12/26/2006 4:41 PM

 
Blogger lvh said...

Well, just think - next year you are going to be at our place and will be od'd on Christmas stuff. What is that cat doing on a table runner I hand quilted for you --- ai yi yi. I've already started cutting blocks so I can make sure to have Christmas quilts on the beds next December ;-)

12/28/2006 12:58 PM

 
Blogger Joxer's Human said...

That table runner makes a wonderful decoration/addition to my chair.. And isn't she cute on it :)

12/28/2006 1:56 PM

 
Blogger abeNanna said...

I asked abe - or rather told him not to buy me anything for Christmas this year. So he did just that, although he gave me a few gifts for other occasions he thought of. It isn't so much about the getting of gifts, but it sure is great when you do find that perfect present for someone.

I was able to go with the FFA as they dropped off some gifts to a family they adopted. One of them even dressed up as Santa. It was really fun watching the kids receive the gifts and then as we drove away we talked about how it felt.

The day ended with a phone call from Baghdad. We had sent a gift only two weeks before and knew it wouldn't arrive in time. But, they handed out presents Christmas Eve and his was among the bunch. A Cammo Santa Hat, a silly game, a Christmas tree, candy and sleep pants. Even though his woman was back home visiting family, he said it was a good Christmas.

Glad that you had a wonderful holiday, that is how it should be. Wish we didn't live so far apart, but....

12/30/2006 6:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one of the most giving loving people I know. You are always thinking of others instead of yourself. I'm proud to be related to you.

1/24/2007 6:37 AM

 
Blogger abeNanna said...

We know you're alive because you have commented on other blogs. But hasn't anything happended in your life over the past month? A note on the weather or something so we can read about your life. LOL

1/24/2007 3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home