23 August 2007

An Unwelcomed Silence

It's hard to say which I noticed first, his piercing blue eyes, his ever present smile, or the never ending way he talked.. "Piercing blue eyes" sounds like such a literary cliche, but I've never known anyone with eyes that sharp or that blue.. He was one of the kindest people I've ever known.. He talked more than anyone I've ever met.. He was someone I am proud to have called a friend.. And he will be missed...

Volunteering at the Day Center it was inevitable, given the status of the people that are being served, but after two years without incident I had almost come to take the presence of those I'd met for granted.. That was, until today..

I've just returned from the memorial service of my friend John Casas. He was one of the guys I met through the day center and last week he lost his fight with liver cancer. Cancer that he was fortunate to have only battled with for two weeks..

I'd always enjoyed talking to John, something that was very fortunate because he loved to talk.. Actually, he couldn't' help it. He had some kind of mental issue (a result of a prior battle with brain cancer) that caused him to talk ALL the time. He was friendly to everyone, never in a bad mood, ever helpful, always smiling..

He'd had more than his share of trials in life.. John lost his husband, Dan, to AIDS back in 1989 and I know from talking to him that he never got over losing the love of his life.. And while we, his friends, take comfort in knowing that John is now back with Dan, it was a sad realization to know that none of his family was at the memorial service.. It was a service donated by the United Church of Christ (where the Day Center rents space) and organized by his friends..

I wish his family could have known the man that John was.. I wish that there were more people in the world like him.. I wish I could talk to him once again......

2 Comments:

Blogger tif-do said...

I'm sorry. I really don't know what else to say. Sounds like he truly touched your life, and I'm guessing you touched his also. Love ya!

8/23/2007 6:36 PM

 
Blogger Pen-nut said...

I am truly sorry, losing a friend isn't easy. Know that we are thinking of you. Love ya!!

8/23/2007 9:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home