20 August 2007

It's Alive!!


I made the trek to Seattle. I sat on the 4th row. And I was sooo very happy that I hadn't already seen the movie.

As I look over the web and read other people's reviews, I notice that (in the few I could find. the show hasn't officially opened so it hasn't officially been reviewed) every one of them had already seen the movie, and while they enjoyed it, they weren't nearly as impressed with it as I was..

Understandably, for many it was as if the actors in the show weren't playing the characters, they were playing the actors of the movie; I.E Christopher Fitzgerald was playing Marty Feldman playing Igor.... This movie is so well loved, and these are characters that people have gotten so attached to that, unfortunately, a lot of people can't see the show for what it was... Sutton Foster didn't have big enough boobs to play Terri Garr.. Though Roger Bart can sing, he was no Gene Wilder.. Megan Mullally could never fill Madeline Kahn's shoes... To them, the jokes were something they'd laughed at before and punch lines were delivered as expected...

Still, we clapped and cheered and when the show was over we all stood up and yelled, "Bravo!"..

My opinion from the 4th row is this.. I thought it was easily one of the best shows I've seen.. Second only to Wicked and that is mainly because I much prefer the story in Wicked... Even though it wasn't perfected (the candlestick in the holder routine got all confused and when Frankenstein yells from behind the wall to remove it, she already had it in her hand), the costumes were wonderful, the songs were hilarious, and the sets were absolutely amazing!! There were more sets in this show than in all the shows I've seen this year combined.. Among which was a classroom, a boat dock, a town square, a train station, a pub, a "moving" forest (for the hayride scene which was incredible), the outside of the castle, the castle library, a mountain with a cave, and of course the lab which was a site to see (the below pic doesn't do it justice as it cuts out all the special effect sections. you can see a better shot of the lab if you watch the interview link)..

I'm very thankful I was able to see this show.. I'll be cheering for them come Tony night.. I'll buy the soundtrack as soon as it's available and listen to it until I know every note.. I'll surely see it again when it comes through on tour, even if the touring cast isn't as good as the original one... And, for the same reason I never watch movies made of books that I love, I'll never watch the movie.. For me, Roger Bart is Frankenstein, Christopher Fitzgerald is Igor, Andrea Martin is Frau Blucher, and this IS Young Frankenstein...


I took the following picture of the stage curtain with my phone.. And the above picture is of the poster I bought, which I'll have framed with my ticket stub.. The rest of them (taking photos in the show is strictly forbidden) came from the Website Broadway World, but I wanted to share some of the view with you... For a backstage view and song snippets, you can watch a news interview at this LINK.

























2 Comments:

Blogger tif-do said...

Fun Stuff! Can't wait to see you!

8/23/2007 10:54 AM

 
Blogger Pen-nut said...

Sounds like you had a blast!! I agree about not watching movies of books or broadway productions. They just aren't the same.

8/23/2007 9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home