11 August 2006

Goodbye Scary Bathroom : Part 1



For those who've not yet been subjected to pictures of my bathroom's current state, I apologize.. Not that you haven't seen them, but that you are now being subjected..

When De and I first moved into the house, the bathroom was a horror.. Yes, even worse than it is now.. The walls were this fleshy color, the built-in was pink, and the wall behind the built in cabinet was covered with rose wallpaper.. Really old wallpaper that was the consistency of a paper bag and awful to remove.. The toilet was an off white color that I "painted" with this enamel stuff so it would be white.. The sink was pitted and scratched so I "painted it as well.. There was no medicine cabinet, just a hole in the wall.. No shower, just the bathtub.. And the floor was a horrid vinyl that I will take a picture of once I start to rip up the floor tomorrow..



Being as how the walls in the rest of the house were either robin egg blue, white, or some ugly color that I can't think of a name for, we decided the house needed some color.. Or rather she decided, and I was still driving long haul so she was making the decisions.. She was also working a new job at Block Buster and didn't have a lot of time to spend fixing up the house.. The vinyl had to be covered before we moved in (so the floor would be in an acceptable state for the loan) so she bought this peel and stick stuff that was actually decent for the price.. But she couldn't get the peel and stick baseboard to stick, so she got a bunch of screws and used the drill to attach it.. NO JOKE.. Because the floor was black, we thought we needed to keep with the dark colors. We set to work with blue and purple paint, sponging the purple over the blue and striping the ceiling.. I knew as soon as it was done, I didn't like it.. But it was at least better than it was.


Today the destruction of the scary bathroom was to begin. Step one, get rid of a lot of the crap that accumulates in the drawers and empty what's left..

Then empty and remove the medicine cabinet..

I have to say, there is one thing that I will be sad to see go.. Not that I've ever used it, because my washer and dryer are not in that spot of the basement, but I always thought it was cool that there was a laundry chute in the bottom drawer..

Now, it's time to grab the handy electric screw driver and get the baseboards removed.. I'd like to get the built-in out, but being as it's midnight, my neighbors may not appreciate it if I set to work with the sledge hammer (that's the only way I can think of to get it out, and it might be fun)..

--

Update..

I couldn't resist.. I was down on the floor unscrewing the baseboards and just had to start peeling back the floor.. To my horror there was two layers under it. The ugly brick looking stuff that was visible when I moved in, and this very damaged retro laminate under that..

But.. Then I grabbed a screw driver and started to pry that up... And....


Tomorrow I will head over to Lowes and buy some really good glue remover. If the wood is in good enough shape (as it appears to be) why cover it with slate?.. I'll just use the slate to tile the bathtub area, as I had already planned, but now I won't have to buy any more.. Hmmmm.. I wonder what shape the wood is in the kitchen..

2 Comments:

Blogger leaner said...

ewwww- yeah totally don't like that color combo at all!
that is hilarious about the floor though.

8/12/2006 2:44 PM

 
Blogger lvh said...

Okay so it's about time you decided to look at that floor - I hope it's in great shape - since your washer is in the basement and you don't have a dishwasher, I would think the kitchen floor would also be in pretty good shape as there shouldn't be too much water damage. love ya

8/12/2006 7:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home